Canvas Ideas

Ideas are submissions from Community users. Instructure reviews these ideas weekly. Relevant ideas are mapped to themes. Community users vote on themes biannually to help prioritize themes.

To participate in Ideas and Themes, please sign in to the Community.

Note: You must be logged in and have at least the Community Member rank to submit a new idea. Any Community user can comment and vote on active Themes. Learn more about how to rank up in the Community.

Filter Idea Conversations:

110 Ideas in: Added To Theme

Problem statement: Currently the only way to view the overall class attendance (from beginning of semester till today) is by having an Attendance Report emailed to you in .csv format. Please make avai...

Community Explorer Canvas Ideas
  • 2 Replies

Problem statement: I would like to suggest an improvement for the attendance tool. When I click on an individual student, I can only see the number of classes they missed, not the dates for when they ...

• 1 Reply

Problem statement: Students can control which courses appear on their dashboard and account menu by going to All Courses and starring/unstarring courses. However, students have no way of controlling w...

Community Contributor Canvas Ideas
  • 2 Replies

Problem statement: Currently, the assignments index page has limited capabilities for teachers to properly filter through all assignments on this page. Teachers become easily overwhelmed when looking ...

Community Member Canvas Ideas
  • 3 Replies

Problem statement: Canvas UI doesn’t display correctly a combination of enrolments active/inactive for one student on a course. UI expects all enrolment to be active or inactive for each student in a ...

• 1 Reply

Problem statement: There is no Grading Period toggle in the Learning Mastery Gradebook, Canvas Quizzes, Modules, or Discussions. Teachers with a lot of content in their courses have a difficult time o...

Community Participant Canvas Ideas
  • 1 Reply

Problem statement: We use the Speed Grader with a rubric on an iPad to mark assessments as part of a face to face course where we complete competency assessments throughout the day. These are the issu...

• 3 Replies

Problem statement: Currently if a student is enrolled in a cross-listed course, the student only sees the "parent course" listed in their course list or dashboard. This can be confusing, especially if...

• 5 Replies

Problem statement: The Collaborations page should tell the instructor who the document has been shared with. Currently you have to open each document separately and check sharing permissions. This is ...

• 3 Replies

Problem statement: Our institution has many schools with individual terms for each school, all within one Canvas instance. We're already up to 255 terms in use for this academic school year. When asso...

• 3 Replies

Problem statement: Currently the courses provisioning report has these fields: canvas_course_id,course_id,integration_id,short_name,long_name,canvas_account_id,account_id,canvas_term_id,term_id,status...

• 4 Replies

Problem statement: Canvas currently groups peer review according to the essay being reviewed, so if I want to find Horatio's comments, I need to look for Estelle's essay. This makes grading difficult....

Community Contributor Canvas Ideas
  • 6 Replies

Problem statement: Hi This is off the back of a call with Canvas support. Turinitin originality scores cannot be viewed in the Canvas Mobile student app. I raised this off the back of an enquiry from ...

• 3 Replies

Problem statement: I've received a number of emails from teachers of courses wanting to know why a student's name is out of place alphabetically in their course roster. In most occasions, the student ...

• 3 Replies

Problem statement: When a student is in a group and then dropped from the course, there is no way to see you have inactive students in a group, unless you expand each group to look. This is taking up ...

• 4 Replies

Problem statement: Currently, the dashboard seems to automatically sort all courses (published and unpublished) alphabetically on the dashboard when a teacher is not utilizing the favorite tags. It ap...

• 3 Replies

Problem statement: The problem is that when marking attendance, I can only see what I mark for that day. I cannot easily see patterns for the course because I can't see all course days together in one...

• 3 Replies

Problem statement: I've been really encouraging students to use the assignment comments when they have a question about an assignment, and it's such a helpful way to be taken directly to their work to...

• 4 Replies

Problem statement: New Quizzes now has the option to place the stimulus above it's related questions when building a quiz (this is done by selecting the "Questions below" orientation option when editi...

• 3 Replies

Problem statement: In the new LTI interface for Credentials in Canvas, there's no way to filter by who has/hasn't earned a badge in the progress view. This would be useful for various outreach and oth...

• 4 Replies